2. He’s almost right. Natural algorithms have ruled every century with life in it. He means unnatural algorithms (which have been called “weaponized math“) now matter.
3. Daniel Dennett says, “Darwin discovered the fundamental algorithm of evolution.” Of course Darwin couldn’t have seen natural selection as algorithmic, but technomorphic analogies to our unnatural computers mean we’re beginning to recognize “algorithmic forces.”
5. Algorithms are sequences of step-by-step instructions for complex processes (like recipes, or software). They describe how dumber sub-steps compose complex tasks.
6. Evolution’s survival-of-the-fittest algorithm is very loosely “survive, replicate with variation, repeat.”
7. Out of that dumb process-logic arises all the intelligence and complexity of all living systems. Including what Dennett calls “competence without comprehension.”
8. Consider “termite castles” that look like a monumental Gaudí…
I have a crazy passion for #music, #celebrity #news & #fashion! I'm always out and about on Twitter.
Latest posts by Sasha Harriet (see all)
- 15 Killer Facts About Zodiac - March 24, 2017
- 5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Washing Machine - March 24, 2017
- Get Thursday’s Top Amazon Deals Now - March 23, 2017
More from Around the Web