Have you ever had heartburn? It’s an uncomfortable subject. You feel the stomach acid painfully welling up in your chest, then seeping up your throat. You’ve probably also heard people refer to it as acid reflux. Around 19.8 percent of adults have a recurring heartburn condition called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).12 Fortunately, an alkaline diet can help stave off the effects of acid reflux. An alkaline diet works by balancing the pH levels in your body. It also helps maintain muscle and bone density.
The modern American diet consists of a lot of acidic, protein-rich foods, which create an imbalance between acidity and alkalinity. According to Healthline, a medically-reviewed source for health information, there are multiple problems with eating too many acidic foods full of protein:
- The acid can build up in your urine, causing a type of kidney stone called uric acid stones to form
- The acid can build up in your blood, causing bone and muscle deterioration and leading to conditions such as osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease, as well as liver problems
To help balance your pH levels, tame the heartburn beast, and reduce the risk of debilitating conditions, consider this list of alkaline foods.
Note: Some foods, such as corn, have a high pH value but don’t convert to alkaline ash in the body. The following list includes foods that:
A) Have a high pH value and also convert to alkaline ash in urine
B) May not have a high pH value but are known to contribute to higher alkaline ash levels in urine
The pH values range from 0 to 14, where 0 is highly acidic, 7 is neutral, and 14 is highly alkaline.
Consult with a physician before making any drastic changes to your diet.
The pH of soybean curd tofu is 7.2. Soybean curd also provides a good source of vegetable protein. You can add tofu to all sorts of…
I have a crazy passion for #music, #celebrity #news & #fashion! I'm always out and about on Twitter.
Latest posts by Sasha Harriet (see all)
- Desperate Dad Asks Internet if He Should Tattoo One of His Identical Twin Babies so He Can Tell Them Apart. - April 21, 2018
- He Has What it Takes to Be the Only Man Willing to be a Foster Dad to Terminally-ill Children - April 21, 2018
- Watch the Sweet Moment a Herd of Cows Charge Up a Hill to Listen to Little Girl’s Concertina - April 21, 2018
More from Around the Web