Albert Einstein said,
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.
But a lot of times, we struggle about how to explain some difficult, or even abstract concepts to others.
In this article, I will provide you with a solution: metaphor. Explaining and examining concepts using metaphors improves our thinking.
Metaphorical thinking is a great way to analyze and synthesize abstract concepts such as cyber security. In a report issued by Sandia National Laboratories for the U.S. Department of Energy, a research team explored metaphors for cyber security. By thinking metaphorically, they found it improved their thinking and discussion of cyber security in four ways:1
- They gained a clear understanding of the value and limitations of cyber security concepts.
- Using less common and new metaphors sparked their imagination.
- Metaphors that work well might be developed into new models for approaching cyber security problems.
- Metaphors serve as a heuristic purpose, bringing a clear understanding of abstract concepts from the field of cyber security into domains with which the non-specialist may be more familiar.
What exactly are metaphors?
Before we examine some metaphors, let’s first define what a metaphor is. In Metaphors We Live By, George…
Latest posts by Marcela (see all)
- Americans would welcome alien life rather than fear it - February 16, 2018
- Ants practice combat triage and nurse their injured - February 16, 2018
- James Webb Space Telescope challenges artists to see in infrared - February 16, 2018
More from Around the Web