Lawsuit

Uber Threatens to Fire Star Engineer in Legal Battle Over Driverless Cars

SAN FRANCISCO — Uber has signaled that it might break up with the star engineer who led its driverless car efforts, as the company seeks to disentangle itself from a high-stakes lawsuit that could affect its future in self-driving vehicles.

To comply with a court order, Uber’s top lawyer told the engineer, Anthony Levandowski, in a letter that if he did not comply with the lawsuit, he could face “adverse employment action,” which may include the loss of his job, according to a court filing on Thursday.

“While we have respected your personal liberties, it is our view that the court’s order requires us to make these demands of you,” Salle Yoo, Uber’s general counsel, said in the letter. “We insist that you do everything in your power to assist us in complying with the order.”

The letter was the latest turn in a legal battle between two technology giants. Mr. Levandowski has been at the center of a trade secrets case involving Uber and Waymo, the self-driving car business that operates under Google’s parent company. Waymo has accused Uber of conspiring with Mr. Levandowki, a former Google engineer, to steal trade secrets from Google for Uber’s autonomous vehicle designs.

The letter is the first public sign of a split between Mr. Levandowski and Uber, which to date has not tried to force him to cooperate with the investigation in the case. Mr. Levandowski has been close to Uber’s chief executive, Travis Kalanick, who wooed the engineer to join the ride-hailing company and purchased Otto,…

Conan O’Brien sued by writer who claims comedian stole his jokes

Conan O'Brien is being sued for copyright infringement allegations by a writer who said he plagiarized punchlines about Caitlyn Jenner, Tom Brady and the Washington Monument.
Conan O’Brien is being sued for copyright infringement allegations by a writer who said he plagiarized punchlines about Caitlyn Jenner, Tom Brady and the Washington Monument.

If the best jokes are stolen, the best comedians don’t think it’s funny when they’re accused of ripping off material.

That’s why Conan O’Brien is vigorously defending himself from copyright infringement allegations by a writer who said he plagiarized punchlines about Caitlyn Jenner, Tom Brady and the Washington Monument.

A federal judge in San Diego refused to toss out the lawsuit last week, potentially setting up a novel trial over comic creativity and the value of laughter.

Robert Alexander Kaseberg said he posted several jokes online that the late-night comedian repeated almost verbatim later that day or the next on his “Conan” show on TBS.

“The laughter stopped in late 2014 and early 2015, at least for a spell, when (Kaseberg) began to notice similarities between his posts and several of the jokes used in the late-night television show Conan’s monologues,” U.S. District Judge Janis Sammartino said in her ruling.

Kaseberg has written for various publications and had more than 1,000 of his jokes told by Jay Leno, an archrival of O’Brien.

The judge tossed out allegations over two jokes Kaseberg claimed were originals, but she allowed the lawsuit to go forward on three others, saying the law provides “thin copyright protection” for those.

One of Kaseberg’s jokes was about the New England Patriots 2015…

Spendthrift or Swindle Victim? Fight Explodes Over Johnny Depp’s Lost Millions

Pinterest
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Johnny Depp’s ongoing legal battle with his former business partners is reaching a fever pitch as both sides attempt to explain how the star’s $650 million fortune has dwindled away.

The actor filed a $25 million lawsuit against his ex-managers Joel and Rob Mandel at TMG in January, alleging that they swindled him out of millions through fraud, breach of contract and professional negligence. TMG fired back shortly afterwards, labeling the actor a hopeless spendthrift who squandered millions on extravagances like fine wine and art against their advice.

In their countersuit, TMG lists a number of eye-popping expenses they say cost Depp $2 million in monthly bills. The complaint alleges he paid $3.6 million a year for a 40-person staff, $30,000 a month on wine, $400,000 on a diamond cuff for his ex-wife Amber Heard and $5 million to shoot the ashes of his friend, author Hunter S. Thompson, out of a cannon in Aspen.

They also claim the actor, whose Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales comes out May 22, spent over $75 million on property (including a chain of islands in the Bahamas and a French chateau), $18 million to acquire and maintain a luxury yacht and tens of millions on an art collection, including works by Warhol, Klimt, Basquiat, and Modigliani.

RELATED: Lawsuit Claims Johnny Depp Is in Financial Crisis Due to Spending $2 Million a Month on ‘Ultra-Extravagant Lifestyle’

But Depp’s attorney Adam Waldman asserts to PEOPLE that the actor has not spent nearly as much as he’s made, and his business managers took far more than their share. In addition, he argues that much of what TMG labeled hapless expenses were actually shrewd business investments.

“What do Johnny Depp’s investments in real estate and art, which have appreciated wildly,…

Facebook, Google, and Twitter sued by families of San Bernardino shooting victims

Above: FILE PHOTO: Weapons confiscated from the attack in San Bernardino, California are shown in this San Bernardino County Sheriff Department handout photo from their Twitter account released to Reuters December 3, 2015.

(Reuters) — Family members of three victims of the December 2015 shooting rampage in San Bernardino, California, have sued Facebook, Google and Twitter, claiming that the companies permitted Islamic State to flourish on social media.

The relatives assert that by allowing Islamic State militants to spread propaganda freely on social media, the three companies provided “material support” to the group and enabled attacks such as the one in San Bernardino.

“For years defendants have knowingly and recklessly provided the terrorist group ISIS with accounts to use its social networks as a tool for spreading extremist propaganda, raising funds and attracting new recruits,” family members of Sierra Clayborn, Tin Nguyen and Nicholas Thalasinos charge in the 32-page complaint, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

“Without defendants Twitter, Facebook and Google (YouTube), the explosive growth of ISIS over…

Fox News Besieged by New Bias Lawsuit and Federal Inquiry

New troubles for Fox News arose on Thursday as a lawsuit accused it of gender discrimination and one of the women who have accused Bill O’Reilly of sexual harassment said she would appear before the British regulatory group that is assessing 21st Century Fox’s attempted takeover of Sky, the satellite TV giant.

At the same time, a federal investigation into Fox News continues. The inquiry, which began in September, appears to focus in part on settlements made by the network’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, and how they were paid and accounted for internally, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

A former public relations chief for Fox News has been subpoenaed and granted immunity from prosecution, one of the people said. The former executive, Brian Lewis, started at Fox News when it was founded in 1996 and was once considered one of the closest aides to Roger Ailes, the former chairman who was forced out last summer amid a sexual harassment scandal. He was fired in 2013 and left the network with a settlement.

Mark Kranz, the former chief financial officer for Fox News, also was subpoenaed and has immunity, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Mr. Kranz, who oversaw the network’s finances when it paid millions of dollars in settlements, was appointed to his position by Mr. Ailes in 2004, and resigned last year, a week after Mr. Ailes had done so.

The people who spoke about the investigation insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss it.

The investigation is being conducted by two prosecutors assigned to the securities fraud unit in the office of Joon H. Kim, the acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, and the United States Postal Inspection Service.

James M. Margolin, a spokesman for the United States attorney’s office, declined to comment. Lawyers for Mr. Lewis and Mr. Kranz declined to comment. News of the subpoena for Mr. Lewis was earlier reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Fox News has said in a statement that it had been in communication with federal prosecutors for months, and would cooperate with the inquiry.

Already facing several lawsuits, Fox News was hit with another one on Thursday, a Fox News Radio reporter filed a state lawsuit asserting that she was subjected to gender discrimination over several years by two supervisors and that, less than 24 hours after reporting the problem, she was told the company was eliminating her position.

In one instance, the woman, Jessica Golloher, said Fox sent a male colleague in London…

Facebook, Twitter, and Google sued for enabling ISIS before San Bernardino shooting

Facebook, Twitter, and Google sued for enabling ISIS before San Bernardino shooting

The families of three victims in the 2015 San Bernardino attack are suing Google, Twitter, and Facebook for allowing the Islamic State to spread its extremist message on their platforms.

The shootings were carried out by Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, who supported the group and pledged their allegiance on Facebook just before the attack. The lawsuit claims the companies aided and abetted the terrorist attacks, and are liable for wrongful death, according to the Los Angeles Times. That seems like a stretch to me.

Family members allege Facebook, Twitter, and Google (by way of YouTube videos) allowed ISIS…

Fyre Festival Debacle Sparks Another Class Action Lawsuit

The Bahamas-based event is becoming a legal nightmare for organizers.

It hasn’t yet been a week since the Fyre Festival went down in flames, but the event has already sparked multiple class action lawsuits.

The destination music festival set in the Bahamas was sold as a once-in-a-lifetime experience complete with top notch food, accommodations and — of course — famous faces. When guests began arriving, though, stories of disaster relief tents, sad-looking cheese sandwiches and travel horrors quickly went viral.

Personal injury attorney John Girardi is representing Chelsea Chinery, Shannon McAuliffe and Desiree Flores in a breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and fraud suit against Ja Rule, Billy McFarland and Fyre Media. Hollywood heavy hitter Mark Geragos earlier this week also filed a $100 million fraud lawsuit against Fyre Festival organizers.

The most recent suit, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, says defendants tricked people into attending the event by paying more than 400 social media influencers and celebrities to promote it.

Not only did the likes of Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid and…

Eminem lawsuit against New Zealand political party begins

FILE - In this April 15, 2012, file photo, Eminem performs at the 2012 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. They may not have lost themselves in the music or the moment but a judge and nine lawyers in a New Zealand courtroom did listen politely to Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” as a copyright trial involving the country’s ruling political party began Monday, May 1, 2017. The Detroit-based music publishers for Eminem are suing New Zealand’s conservative National Party for using a similar soundtrack titled “Eminem Esque” for a 2014 TV ad. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, File)

FILE – In this April 15, 2012, file photo, Eminem performs at the 2012 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. They may not have lost themselves in the music or the moment but a judge and nine lawyers in a New Zealand courtroom did listen politely to Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” as a copyright trial involving the country’s ruling political party began Monday, May 1, 2017. The Detroit-based music publishers for Eminem are suing New Zealand’s conservative National Party for using a similar soundtrack titled “Eminem Esque” for a 2014 TV ad. (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello, File)

(The Associated Press)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — They may not have lost themselves in the music or the moment but a judge and nine lawyers in a New Zealand courtroom did listen politely to Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” as a copyright trial involving the country’s ruling political party began Monday.

The Detroit-based music publishers for Eminem are suing New Zealand’s conservative National Party, alleging the soundtrack for a 2014 election campaign ad copied the rapper’s acclaimed 2002 song. Titled “Eminem Esque,” the track has the familiar urgent, pulsing beat of the original.

The party has previously said it purchased the track through an Australian-based supplier and doesn’t believe it has infringed anyone’s copyright.

In 2014, when the case was filed, lawmaker Steven Joyce said he thought the use of the song was…

Timeline Of A Personal Injury Lawsuit

personal injury lawsuit timeline
personal injury lawsuit timeline

Understanding a personal injury lawsuit timeline can help a victim cope with the stress and emotional challenges that may arise with the processing of his case. Though the time and process may be different in some states, on the average, the process is complicated and time-consuming.

Unfortunately, a high percentage of Americans are unaware of the workings of the judicial proceedings both for…

Fox News Anchor Among Group Alleging Racial Discrimination In Class-Action Suit

A group of 11 current and former Fox News employees filed a class-action lawsuit against the television network on Tuesday, claiming years of “abhorrent, intolerable” racial discrimination.

The suit, filed in New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx, amends an earlier complaint filed in March by two women who, at the time, cited “top-down racial harassment,” The New York Times notes. The suit now includes Kelly Wright, who is co-anchor of “America’s News Headquarters” on Fox News, and eight others. It specifically targets the company’s lawyer, Dianne Brandi, and then-comptroller Judith Slater, and cites the behavior of former network superstar Bill O’Reilly.

“The only consistency at Fox is the abhorrent, intolerable, unlawful and hostile racial discrimination … more akin to plantation-style management than a modern-day work environment,” the suit reads.

The complaint says O’Reilly refused to allow Wright to discuss growing racial tension in the U.S. on “The O’Reilly Factor,” instead saying the host should call up network executives and “offer to sing the national anthem at the Fox News Town Halls.”

“Despite his outstanding performance, and because he is black, Mr. Wright has been effectively sidelined and asked to perform the role of a ‘Jim Crow’ ― the racist…