SAN FRANCISCO — Google said it would no longer force employees to settle disputes with the company in private arbitration, expanding on an earlier pledge to do away with the practice in cases of sexual harassment or assault.
Google informed its staff in an email on Thursday that the new policy would take effect globally on March 21 for current and future employees. Gina Scigliano, a Google spokeswoman, confirmed the changes.
In November, the company agreed to scrap forced arbitration in individual cases of sexual harassment or assault after 20,000 Google workers staged a walkout demanding changes to how it treats employees. The walkout was prompted by a New York Times article that revealed Google had given a senior executive, Andy Rubin, a $90 million exit package even after it found he had been credibly accused of sexual harassment.
The employee organizers behind the walkout demanded that Google also stop forcing employees into arbitration for other types of disputes. Google said it had…
Latest posts by Peter Bordes (see all)
- How to Watch Game of Thrones Online - April 21, 2019
- After an Easter terror attack, Sri Lanka cut access to social media - April 21, 2019
- A Blazing Hot Coal Seam Shows How Microbes Can Spring to Life - April 21, 2019
More from Around the Web