If you have a dispute with your landlord, it’s important to put it in writing so you have a provable record of the dispute. Even if you’ve already spoken with your landlord or super, write a complaint letter that describes the problem and what you expect your landlord to do to fix it. Provide a deadline and follow up until the situation is resolved.
- 1 Choose a specific issue to focus on. If you have several issues you want to address with your landlord, pick 1 or 2 of the most pressing issues for your letter. Problems that are simply annoying may not warrant a formal complaint letter.
- Your complaint should be specific, and within your landlord’s power to resolve. For example, problems with electrical wiring, damage to floors, stairs, doors, or windows, or the removal of pests or mold are problems worthy of a formal complaint letter.
- If your problem is with a neighbor or other resident of the property, it’s usually best to try to talk to them and attempt to work out a solution to the problem before getting your landlord involved.
- 2 Create a chronological account of the problem. Gather any information you have regarding previous times you’ve discussed the problem with your landlord, as well as any attempts that were made to fix it.
- Be as specific as possible, including dates and approximate times. Try to account for when you first noticed the problem, and when you first notified the landlord of the problem, if nothing else.
- Document the number of times you’ve talked to your landlord or anyone else in the management office about the problem. If possible, include names of anyone you talked to.
- 3 Take photos as evidence of the problem. If your complaint relates to something that needs to be…
I have a crazy passion for #music, #celebrity #news & #fashion! I'm always out and about on Twitter.
Latest posts by Sasha Harriet (see all)
- Americans One of the Most Stressed-Out People According to Survey - April 29, 2019
- Giants say they’ve spoken with Ballentine, express condolences to Simmons’ family - April 29, 2019
- Wilt Chamberlain 100-Pt. Game Scorer’s Sheet Sells For $214K!! - April 29, 2019
More from Around the Web